The member photo gallery is now integrated and live!!  All user albums and pictures have been ported from old gallery.

To register send an e-mail to admin@bmwr65.org and provide your location and desired user name.

Author Topic: Spoked Wheels  (Read 32 times)

Offline G0rd0n

Spoked Wheels
« on: September 13, 2021, 06:05:25 AM »
Has anyone tried to fit a set of spoked wheels to a 1983 R65.  I know there was a specific set made for ex police bikes but I have a set of wheels of unknown origin.  I know they are not originally from R65 and front is 19” as well.
The hub width for the front is wider than std R65 snowflake cast wheel and before I look at machining what is likely to be 6mm from either sides disk mounting face I am interested in case anyone has done this before.
The spindle and wheel spacers will need modified but this is let of a concern to me.

If the front hub would fit I could either rebuild with 18” rim or just try as 19” and drop forks to compensate .

Otherwise bike remains standard, just I’ve never liked the snowflake wheels.

Thanks

Offline georgesgiralt

• I Love YaBB 2!
Re: Spoked Wheels
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2021, 09:50:36 AM »
Hello,
I once inquired about this to a French guy making spoked wheels for all airhead bikes.
His answer was that the front hub is very specific of the R65 and no other hub will fit. HE said I had a choice : Either pay a premium to have a set of spoked wheels that fits, or install a front fork from an R80 or R100. And lve with the discrepancy and strange handling it will make (short wheel base with the R80 or R100 angle...)
I declined both and stayed with the snowflake wheels.