The member photo gallery is now integrated and live!!  All user albums and pictures have been ported from old gallery.

To register send an e-mail to admin@bmwr65.org and provide your location and desired user name.

Author Topic: engine removal  (Read 1730 times)

Offline georgesgiralt

• Mt. Olympus Resident
  • I Love YaBB 2!
Re: engine removal
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2021, 08:29:38 AM »
Hello,
The clutch actuating lever is fragile, but is easy to grab and hold.
So you have to balance the desire to use it to remove the gearbox and ensure you do not break it by removing it..
I remove it every time I have to remove the trans of the frame.
As you have to remove the engine from the frame, advance it to the front wheel as far as it will go and put it on a wood block while you remove the gearbox.
This will make the last operation quite easy now that you have gained some space by pushing the swing arm back...

Offline Bill Conquest

• Lives in Foothills of Mt. Olympus
  • I Love YaBB 2!
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2021, 05:13:51 PM »
Well I succeeded in getting it out of the bike and onto a rolling dolly.. no it痴 down to the mechanic shop!
Thanks for all the help
79 r65/75 r60/76r75/76r100

Offline Bill Conquest

• I Love YaBB 2!
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2021, 12:58:30 AM »
Now that the engine is out of the frame I see a number of places that need repainting.
Can anyone suggest what paint to use on the frame to match the existing? I remember in the past somebody suggesting ace semi gloss black..

Offline georgesgiralt

• Mt. Olympus Resident
  • I Love YaBB 2!
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2021, 01:33:11 AM »
Hi !
Glad to hear you succeeded !
I would, if I were you, go the extra mile, strip the bike down and have the frame, swing arm, battery compartment, headlight support, air box (post-81), central stand, foot pegs, sub frame and starter cover powder coated in semi mat finish.
Your bike will look new when reassembled and get both a higher running and resale value.
And it will be the opportunity to know it better, and grease all the points and hidden things which never saw a grease gun since Manfred assembled them....
But this is just my feeling
YMMV .....

Offline dogshome

« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2021, 09:52:02 AM »
The bill for what is found in the engine might direct what happens next!  :deal2:

But yes, if you got this far. Only brakes, forks, swingarm, hub, seatpan, fuel tank cleanout.....     :drowning:
肉(r?u)包(bāo)子(zi)打(dǎ)狗(gǒu) (meat+bun(2nd and 3rd)+hit+dog)
* Literally: To hit a dog with a meat-bun.:-O

Offline Bill Conquest

• I Love YaBB 2!
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2021, 07:25:21 PM »
Hi and thanks for the suggestions.. well it seems like the main bearings are OK.. and the oil pump is OK as well.. Will need one new connecting rod and new connecting rod bearings.. The cylinders are OK and the pistons are OK but will be replacing the rings.. anyone have any suggestions as to where the best place is to order parts from..? Also need to get them fairly quickly..
Thanks Bill

Offline Justin B.

• Administrator
  • Mt. Olympus Resident
  • I love my Beemers
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2021, 09:36:49 PM »
When I re-ringed the Junkyard Dawg I ordered everything from Moto-Bins and had it in about a week.  But, during this time of Covid that might stretch out a bit...  I guess Bobs or Max BMW might be quicker but more expensive.
Justin B.

2004 BMW R1150RT
1981 R100RT - Summer bike, NEKKID!!!

Offline Bill Conquest

• I Love YaBB 2!
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2021, 01:15:15 PM »
Thanks Justin, i値l check them out..

Offline Bill Conquest

• I Love YaBB 2!
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2021, 04:35:38 PM »
Hi all.. well I finally gathered all the parts and pieces together and I知 now ready to put everything back together..I had to use four  different parts houses but they all did a great job for me.. The hardest thing to find was the cam follower..It seems they are all backordered to Germany.. I finally found one used.. all I needed!
I値l see if I can remember how to put everything back together now😆

Offline Bob_Roller

• Global Moderator
  • Mt. Olympus Resident
  • -7 hours GMT
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2021, 05:47:37 PM »
It's easy !!
I had a Fiat X1/9 the engine disassembly was 200 pages, reassembly procedure one sentence, Reverse disassembly procedure .
'81 R65
'82 R65 LS
'84 R65 LS
'87 Moto Guzzi V65 Lario
'02 R1150R
Riding all year long since 1993 .
I'll give up my R65, when they pry my cold dead hands from the handlebars !!!!!

Offline georgesgiralt

• Mt. Olympus Resident
  • I Love YaBB 2!
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2021, 02:29:17 AM »
Hi all.. well I finally gathered all the parts and pieces together and I知 now ready to put everything back together..I had to use four  different parts houses but they all did a great job for me.. The hardest thing to find was the cam follower..It seems they are all backordered to Germany.. I finally found one used.. all I needed!
I値l see if I can remember how to put everything back together now😆

Hello Bill,
If I'm not mistaken, the cam follower and the camshaft are NLA from BMW. And won't be reproduced as the factory making them has shut down.
There is a "sport" camshaft available in Germany but no cam followers.... So you have to search for good used ones. And cherish them if you want to drive your bike for the foreseeable future....
Just my 2「

Offline Bill Conquest

• I Love YaBB 2!
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2021, 08:52:40 PM »
Hi All.. just talked to the mechanic and he has the motor almost all together except for the cylinders which I think I値l wait to put the motor in frame first. He tells me he needs a tool to align the clutch plate to allow the transmission spline to fit in properly.. not sure what that means but does anybody here have any idea?
Thanks as always
Bill

Offline georgesgiralt

• Mt. Olympus Resident
  • I Love YaBB 2!
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2021, 02:19:47 AM »
Hello Bill, The clutch disk is free from the clutch and has the splines the gearbox gets its power from. This disk is pinched hard by the clutch mechanism when "in gear". And the engine clutch carrier has a hole to support the clutch actuating rod going from the rear of the transmission to the clutch through the gearbox. So you need the clutch disk to be properly centered in order for the clutch actuating rod to line up perfectly and have the gearbox splines inserted in the clutch disk... It can be done by eyeballing things and tested with the transmission until everything is correct, but easier and faster if you have a tool made from whatever material with the outer diameter of the tool being the gearbox spline diameter and another smaller rod protruding which is the push rod diameter.  You insert that tool on the disk and on the clutch carrier, torque the clutch bolts properly and voila, clutch is centered and engine ready to bolt in place.
As per the jug and pistons, IMHO, it would be better to have them assembled to the engine on the workbench instead of the bike. And they will make handy in grabbing the engine to put it back in place. (two people needed if you do not want to mar the frame and use a lock of wood to put the engine weight on)...
Just my 2 「

Offline Bill Conquest

• I Love YaBB 2!
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2021, 02:48:09 AM »
Wow.. that痴 a great explanation thank you so much.. I was just looking in the motel bins catalog and I saw a clutch centering tool for all twins.. that must be the tool you池e talking about.. what do you think?
Moro bins tool #99350

Offline georgesgiralt

• Mt. Olympus Resident
  • I Love YaBB 2!
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2021, 04:15:53 AM »
Yes, it is the correct one but not needed. You have the clutch disk at hand, as the motor is on the bench. And the actuating rod also in front of you. Find a broomstick that fits into the disk hole (quite snug fitting, nothing too loose) and put a nail on it. The size of the nail being the actuating rod tip diameter. Of course, the nail must be center in the broomstick bit... And you have a clutch centering tool. Put a nice BMW logo on it and a reference. It will become the official clutch centering tool.... As you have a picture of the real tool, easy to understand what I mean.
Easy and cheap. Like our BMW bikes.