The member photo gallery is now integrated and live!!  All user albums and pictures have been ported from old gallery.

To register send an e-mail to admin@bmwr65.org and provide your location and desired user name.

Author Topic: Handlebar switch maintenance.  (Read 69 times)

Offline dogshome

Handlebar switch maintenance.
« on: June 05, 2021, 02:28:19 PM »
Bob prompted me to look at the kill switch after various conversations about starters and ignition. After finding a fully seized rear brake linkage after 12 months using it obliviously, I thought it worth a look.

The kill switch and starter are quite straightforward and simply taking apart with care is simple.

The left hand headlight/indicators/horn is another story. It says made in Japan on it. The home of Samori swords, ninjas, origami, japanese food and other cunning things. It's taken a good two hours to get it apart, clean it and re-assemble without destruction. It was worth it as there was green goop in both handle bar switches, but what a trial.

Handy hints:
* The high beam switch does come off without having to remove the infernal pin on the inside. Pry it straight away from the unit and it will pop off (needs a lot of force).
* The three switch units inside are mounted on a carrier. It will not come out or go back in with all three plugged into it. The horn and indicators have to be shimmed in approximate place and the carrier levered in afterwards. The high beam also has a rocket assisted ball bearing that needs tentacles and the response of a humming bird to fit/catch it.

On the plus side, it is made of resilient plastic and on a warm day like today, difficult to snap. An italian or British made part this cunning would have shattered to a gazillion pieces. Mine are the '79 on type. http://www.largiader.com/articles/euroswitch/
肉(r?u)包(bāo)子(zi)打(dǎ)狗(gǒu) (meat+bun(2nd and 3rd)+hit+dog)
* Literally: To hit a dog with a meat-bun.:-O

Offline Justin B.

• Administrator
  • I love my Beemers
Re: Handlebar switch maintenance.
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2021, 11:52:03 AM »
Yeah, the first time I took apart that switch I thought it likely that I would wind up sitting in a corner, drooling, with a blank look on my face!   :mad:
Justin B.

2004 BMW R1150RT
1981 R100RT - Summer bike, NEKKID!!!