The member photo gallery is now integrated and live!!  All user albums and pictures have been ported from old gallery.

To register send an e-mail to admin@bmwr65.org and provide your location and desired user name.

Author Topic: New Member in NYC  (Read 198 times)

Offline 304065

New Member in NYC
« on: March 28, 2021, 06:00:38 PM »
Crazy, they called me.

"You're going to RIDE a motorcycle to work in New York City?  [insert snarky phrase relating to Insurance here]"

And yet mad am I not.  In the grim days of 2020, when the personal risk associated with public transportation was decidedly nonzero, and the Manhattan traffic was a shadow of its formerly horrific self, the three-way calculus of convenience, risk and fun factor all pointed in the direction of. . .

. . . a 1981 R65.  A repaint, probably over Turkis, in a Factory color from the cars, I think, Iceland Green. 

I was smitten with the bike and not knowing much about them, decided to plunge headlong into buying one.  But for the life of me, late last summer, couldn't get anybody within 500 miles to call me back.  Considered an LS that needed some work.  Salivated over a blue '79 out in Brooklyn that wouldn't start.  Both easy enough. . . but no responses. 

So finally I get a live one, from the PO of the '81, he's up in Vermont.  So I bought it. . . sight unseen.  (I KNOW, I KNOW)

The short version is that it's been a great adventure, not only enjoying the bike, my first one, riding around NYC, but also in learning the intricacies of Airheads and the particular nuances of the SWB bikes. 

I'll end the first post there. . . and will continue with the "rolling restoration" that I have not been able to resist. . .

Offline jp9094

• I Love YaBB 2!
Re: New Member in NYC
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2021, 12:29:53 PM »
Welcome to the group from a fellow New Yorker (Brooklynite)! Having ridden both to work and for work (motorcycle messenger in the late 60's early 70's) in the city, the dangers are a bit exaggerated. Being retired, I ride my '83 LS all year round without any major dramas. I agree that finding services for our old but reliable rides can be a challenge, but they are easy to work on oneself. If you need any advice or a second pair of hands send a message via this list and I will see what I can do.

Regards to all
"It's what you learn, after you know it all, that counts"

Offline 304065

Re: New Member in NYC
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2021, 09:47:04 AM »
Thanks JP!  I sometimes get out your way to have Tom Pfeiffer a/k/a the "Airhead Whisperer" inspect and do a carb fine-tune. 

I have no garage so have been doing a lot of work in the street, it's a great way to get to know the neighbors, traffic enforcement, random weirdos, etc.

Will start another thread on the "spring time projects" which will be pretty involved!